Saturday, January 24, 2009

Preston's 8th Birthday!


For Preston's birthday; he chose a place to have his party (a gaming place on base that could accommodate all his fiends with video & arcade games, pool table, ping pong, etc.) & a bunch of friends to invite. We called to reserve the place, but it was totally booked. We suggested some other options but he insisted that he wanted to just have a Wii late night with Madelline. For days we tried to come up with other options, but he continued to insist on nothing more than Wii with his sister. Finally, Thursday at dinner I asked why. He said He didn't want to hurt any of his friends feelings; if he only invited a few friends then the others who he didn't invite might have their feelings hurt. If he invited them all then they would have to take turns playing & some might feel left out or bored.

Light bulb moment for Mom. The next day I got on the phone and called all his friend's moms & arranged not one but two surprise parties for him.

Oliver & Preston

Party #1: Oliver moved onto base which is far enough away that they don't play much anymore. So Friday night Oliver came to have a Wii late night with Preston & Madeline (what he wanted to do for his birthday.)

When I returned from picking Oliver up Preston was so excited to see him. Then, as quickly as the sight of him brought a smile, he got a sad look on his face & I thought he was going to cry. I asked why he was sad & he said he didn't want his other friends to be left out. Surprise #2 was ruined, I told him my plan for Saturday night.



The CRAZY party!!!


Party #2: All of his friends in our neighborhood (plus a few) came Saturday night during the Priesthood session of General Conference (so I was on my own.) They were supposed to watch a movie but instead ran around the house, totally loud & insane. Well, most wanted to watch the movie but soon gave up, as it was impossible to hear. I nearly lost my mind until I overheard two of the boys talking. One said to the other "this is the best party ever!" I hope Preston enjoyed it because it's going to be awhile before we repeat that night!


October 2008


Preston's favorite things at agr 8: Reggie, wii, Webkinz, Legos, playing with Maddy, reading, Harry Potter, math, stew, roast, friends, sledding, scouts, games, movies.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Congrats Preston!!! What an absolutely sweet boy you have! (I have a daughter about his age...hint..hint..hint. ;-))
Jenn W

Cherise said...

What a thoughtful little guy! I am so impressed that he would #1 want to do something with his sister and #2 not hurt any feelings by leaving someone out. How cute! -PS I am glad you are back! :)