
Jan. 16
th was a sad morning at the airport for us. Derrick's final days in the Air Force are being spent in Iraq, his first and only deployment.

Derrick being transported from his first stop (2-days) in Qatar to his duty base,
Kirkuk. When he left I was showing the kids pictures on-line of Iraq & where Dad was going. Maddy's first comment was "aren't there any flowers, trees or bushes?" Dad sent this
picture to show her that he found a flower (granted it's a weed growing in a pile of rocks, but a flower!)

Behind these cement
pillars is the hospital.

This is their fancy break room.

This is the ultra high tech E.R. in the hospital, got to love the bicycle wheels on the gurney.

This is his new home. He is lucky, he has his own room & shares a bathroom with only one other person. Each of the trailers has 2 rooms with the bathroom in between.
These are his bunks, they sleep with their flack vest & helmet on the top bunk in case they get hit with a
mortar (comforting thought to sleep on!)
4 comments:
He is at Camp Taji. (sp?) He is recruiting and re-enlisting soldiers in Iraq. This allows them to keep their sign on bonus tax free. (isn't there something wrong with taxing on military sign on bonuses?) How long is Derrick going to be there?
Wow, that came up fast. I ddn't even realize he was gone. PLEASE let me know if there is anything we can do for you while he is gone. (Have you found anyone to buy your house yet?)Take Care!
Julie, if you were selling your house in 3-4 years we would take it. We want to get our house paid off first. As for the bargain shopping, I use a sight called Pinching Your Pennies. It's a little bit hard to explain but if you'd like me to show you what I know, I would love to get together with you - Just give me a call!
I'm sorry! I didn't realize he was going. When is he due back? I hope it goes quickly for all of you. Take care and hang in there!
Martie
Post a Comment