Monday, May 4, 2009

Projects

Project # 1


Before I packed away my sewing machine, I had a few projects to complete! This is a table runner I made from some Christmas scraps to experiment with a quilt design for Macall's quilts for our new house. I am happy with my Christmas project, but what good is it in March?!? It did feel good to do this little sewing project that was done in a day & made me excited to start sewing again!


Project #2


This is Macall's fabric that she had to have. We found a duvet cover in The Land of Nod catalog that we liked (& should have quit thinking about it there & ordered them!) I decided that I could easily sew them (she needs two for her room) because a duvet cover is, in my mind, like a large pillowcase...easy project! It is amazing how "easy projects" seem to grow into more complicated & more expensive projects.
I started to look at fabric online. Macall wanted pink walls and a pink & green room (her favorite colors), this was no problem since pink & green are everywhere right now. I, as usual, complicated things by trying to pull in a few other colors. We found this fabric (on the top of the pile) on line & Macall absolutely fell in love with it. I printed a picture with the name of the fabric line & Macall & I went to Boise in search of (or something she liked better.) We ended up at the quilt shop, which was not my first choice because everything in the store is at least $8.00/yd. They said they had the fabric, but it was gone. I tried to sell Macall on other options. My four-year old was not about to budge...she knew what she wanted & that was it for her. After 3 hours of looking at fabric (she was surprisingly well behaved, but the outing was for her so she better be) I decided to leave & either order online or from the catalog. As we were ready to leave I had a quick thought that if they had it before they might have a fat quarter of it. I dug in the baskets & happily found one!!! Macall was sold for good now. We pulled some coordinating fabrics together & I added some that I already had & went home to order it online (yes at $9.00/yd.) Needless to say...my project grew & grew & grew! I made one quilt & have the other (slightly different desin) cut out, it will be a summer project.





One down & one to go!






Project # 3

Maddy's project was supposed to be easy too. Also a duvet cover made from some clearance sheets we bought from The Land of Nod. I can't seem to leave anything at simple. As I laid out he sheets I realized that the fabric I had bought nearly 5 years ago in Mississippi to use on a window treatment for this house was great with the sheets. So I said "let's put a border on your duvet cover!" Only I would complicate a project that Maddy was perfectly fine with simply having 2 sheets sewn together. Madeline agreed, but we were short fabric, so back to the computer I went. I knew that it was a Robert Allen fabric, but I did not know the name of it or if it was still available. So cleverly, I scanned a scrap & emailed Robert Allen Design & 10 minutes had a response with the name of the fabric & that I could indeed buy it for $32.00/yd plus shipping! No thanks! I did find it online for less & ordered it. Maddy LOVES it, but once again my simple project grew in time, money & turned into a HUGE pain it the neck (literally, this queen sized duvet was heavy & by the time I finished sewing my back & neck were killing me!)
Project # 4
Clean my house so I can put it on the market!!!

1 comment:

Martie said...

Such beautiful results!

I do the same thing. It seems that nothing I do is ever simple. You have my empathy!

I loved seeing everything you made. Great job!

Martie